Tuesday, February 4, 2014

Day 2 - Gonzales, TX to Van Horn, TX

Bad night's sleep last night. We decided to split the difference. Last time we slept in the camper, we let the dogs sleep with us and we got very little sleep. So this time we split up. Derron took the bed with Hazelnut and I took the couch bed with Nutella. As usual, we were utterly defeated. Both dogs wound up with me on the couch. I thought they'd stay there together so I slipped into the bed. No...again, defeated. We will have to revise our plan for tonight. Not sure where Gracie slept but isn't that to be expected...cats being stealth and all?

In daylight, Hill Shade RV Park is pleasant enough. Lots of nice rigs, probably stopped short of San Antonio for the night like we did. There's a nice field right across the street from our site for the dogs. Hazelnut's shy bladder has eased up, thankfully.

As for amenities, WiFi was acceptable. Electric hook-up was a bit tricky. I asked Derron to go check out the showers…was thinking a shower in a normal sized stall with strong water pressure would be great. He came back and said, “I’m gonna say that’s a big no”.  Oh well, maybe at the next park.

There were a few permanent residents at Hill Shade but most seemed transient like us. Only channel we picked up well was FOX. That was true at the park in Mississippi too. Think it’s a conspiracy?

We were going to stay at a KOA park in Van Horn but we couldn’t locate the address on our GPS so we’ve switched. Both are pet friendly but the KOA has a fenced pet area…that would have been nice. I have a stabbing pain in my lower back from the dogs pulling on their leashes.

We tried to get on the road for 9 AM so we could get to Van Horn with a little daylight left. Best laid plans...we didn't.

The drive from San Antonio to around Sonora was pretty nice. Lots of hills though. Not so great if you’re driving an RV towing a car.  But Derron’s doing a great job. He’s been passing and changing lanes without any problems. Better him than me. 

The dogs are doing well. Hazelnut did what she had to do before we left the Gonzales area. We expect her bladder will clam up again when we stop for lunch…but she is improving. She’s not anywhere near as restless as she was yesterday.

Nutella is again the champ of the trip. She’s snoozing away just in case there’s something exciting at the rest area.

Gracie’s been moving about a bit today. Who knows where we will find her later.

The drive from Sonora on was bleak!!!! And the wind was horrible. We got blown from one side of the road to the other. And of course just as soon as Derron asked me how my 4G service was, I lost it. What the hell did we do before we had smartphones? 

We stopped in Van Horn at the Desert Willow RV Park. I'm learning a lot about the various types of RV parks. This is just that, a place to park your RV. It's an asphalt parking lot. But the showers are tiled, clean, and the water pressure is good so I am looking forward to a real shower tomorrow. 

There's no good place to walk the dogs except around the perimeter. We picked up all kinds of prickly things on our shoes. Somehow the dogs managed to avoid them. One of the prickly things must have dropped off my shoe inside and I stepped on it barefoot. Yow!

The wireless here is slow but Derron's pleased we have some cable channels...and of course FOX comes in clear as day.

We just noticed on the handy-dandy info sheet the old lady in the office gave me, that there is a dog run behind the office. We'll see. Speaking of the old lady...I've never seen anyone count change as slow as she did. I truly believe I aged watching her. Her office by the way, consists of a TV tray, a chair, and a cash box.

Tomorrow we head to Arizona by way of Las Cruces, NM. We've both said numerous times, if we didn't have the pets with us we'd stop at lots of places...oh well, another trip maybe.





No comments:

Post a Comment